The history of MAIN Manufacturing Products, Inc.
goes back to 1955 when a steel marking stamp manufacturer required a compact hydraulic press to augment their steel stamps for marking. MAIN’s founder worked with another engineer to develop a hydraulic press that incorporated a special hydraulic cylinder that intensified the pressure on the ram without any increase in the pressure in the hydraulic lines when a resistance was met. This was ideally suited for metal marking where high force was required for a short distance. This saved both space and power requirements. To gain greater control over quality, he and a friend started making the parts in a friend’s garage in Flint, Michigan. During the later 50's, customers noticed that MAIN was making our own flanges. They were having the same problems that MAIN was, a lack of timely delivery of quality flanges. Knowing the quality of our presses, several customers asked if MAIN would sell them flanges as well. In 1959, MAIN came out with its first flange catalog.
During the mid 60's,
MAIN built a 1,600 sq ft building in Burton, Michigan. This was expanded to 27,000 sq ft before MAIN moved to its current building in 1999. MAIN’s standard for assistance and advancement in the industry grew as evidenced by MAIN’s staff helping to start one of the first hydraulics programs at Flint Junior College - now Mott Community College. MAIN Manufacturing Products Inc. incorporated in 1969. MAIN joined the National Fluid Power Association and was a sponsor of the local Fluid Power Society chapter.
During the 70's,
product liability cost increased drastically for the stamping press industry. It was decided to spin the press business off to a separate entity and for MAIN Manufacturing to concentrate on the manufacture of hydraulic flanges, connectors, and components. Although press manufacturing has since been discontinued, the original drawings are available for service. This also applies to any hydraulic flange that MAIN has manufactured over the years.
During the 80's,
MAIN’s business grew dramatically. New products were rolled out. MAIN jumped to the forefront of hydraulic flange manufacturers by joining the NFPA technical committees (USA TAG TC131 subcommittees). MAIN bought many new machines including palletized machining centers and special drill grinding equipment.
During the 90's,
the flange business continued to grow. MAIN became landlocked at its Burton location. MAIN decided to buy the assets of FLANGES INC., moved it to Michigan, and built a new bigger and better facility. In 1999, MAIN moved into its new 48,000 sq ft building in Grand Blanc. The building was designed for the production of hydraulic flanges and components. A large climate-controlled quality control room, a climate-controlled inventory room, and a special manufacturing layout were all included. MAIN’s employees did an amazing job of moving 60-80 tons of raw steel, $2 million of finished inventory, and all the office equipment while maintaining critical production and not missing a single production or delivery date. MAIN’s customer base reached 1000.
During the new Millennium,
MAIN continued to grow and improve efficiencies as well as quality. A major modernization of the equipment was completed in 2008, adding new capabilities. MAIN is a leader in manufacturing of special hydraulic flanges to standards from around the world. The customer base grew beyond 1300. Engineers working for MAIN have been selected to be the chairman of the task forces rewriting the ISO and SAE flange documents. When new standards are developed and old standards revised, it can be assured that MAIN will be there, expertise in hand.
MAIN's history is one of providing the right part (be it a standard, stock special, or completely special), shipped quickly (stock to 1 week), for the right price. With a current customer base of 1300+ and 50+ years of experience, MAIN is there to meet our customers needs now and into the future.